ILWG Ice-Bowl 2018 (Updated 22 Feb 2018)
Fragmented Order with Changes (update 22 Feb 2018) (For Original Order Scroll Down)
MEMORANDUM FOR ALL ILWG EMERGENCY SERVICES PERSONNEL
FROM: LT COL RAY WALDEN – IC
SUBJECT: Illinois Wing Ice Bowl 23-24 Feb 2018; Fragmentary Order – 2
1. Mission: Ice Bowl is a Go for this weekend. Rain ‘should’ hold-off until the afternoon/evening on Saturday.
2. Concept of Operations: No Change to FragO #1 – NO OVERNIGHT CAMPING FRIDAY NIGHT
Fragmented Order with Changes (Updated 21 Feb 2018)
1. Mission: Ice Bowl is a Go for this weekend. However, a site assessment and weather forecast consultation among the Incident Management Team is ongoing. Ground, Air and Mission Base training are all proceeding as planned.
- Ground Personnel
i. Report at 0800L to the Paul Wolff Campground (38W235 Big Timber Rd.Elgin, IL) . Training done 1600-1700.
- Mission Base Staff
i.Report at 0630 to the Paul Wolff CampgroundICP Closes 1800.
- Air Operations Personnel & Air Operations Staff
i. Receive sortie tasking from Air Branch (Capt D. Johnson)
4.Service and Support:
5.Command and Signal:
FROM: ILWG/DOST (original order – please note changes in order above)
SUBJECT: ICE BOWL – 2018: WARNING ORDER
- Mission: ILWG Emergency Services Section will facilitate ILWG’s yearly cold-weather SAR training exercise: ICE BOWL-2018. 23-24 February 2018 at Paul Wolff Campground near Elgin, IL (Campground webpage). Remote ICP will be at the Paul Wolff Shelter (northeast corner of property off Big Timber entrance).
- Intent: Provide training and recurrency opportunity in cold-weather SAR operations IAW Commander’s Guidance and Illinois Wing Training Plan. The training goals are as follows.
- Ground Team Training – PRIMARY FOCUS
- Initial and recurrent GTM training (with emphasis on cold-weather prep and execution)
- GTL initial and recurrent training.
iii. UDF training in cold-weather conditions.
- Aircrew Training – SECONDARY FOCUS (two or three air sorties)
- SAR/DF operations in cold-weather conditions
- Air/Ground Coordination (one or two sorties)
- Mission Base
- Remote ICP operations in a cold-weather environment
- Communications Unit; Finance/Admin Section; Logistics
- Concept of Operations: To prepare ILWG personnel to conduct SAR operations in a winter environment.
- Ground training will be conducted OUTDOORS. GTM SETs will conduct training and task evaluations on most UDF/GTM skills. ALL Ground Team Members MUST be adequately-equipped/clothed for continuous operations OUTSIDE for 60-90 min rotations through training stations.
- There will be an opportunity for overnight camping Friday night on the property adjacent to the ICP (Paul Wolff Shelter). Those interested in “polar bear SAR” bragging rites MUST BE ADEQUATELY EQUIPPED for camping in temperatures below 32*F. IceBowl Staff will inspect gear (tent, bag, pad, sleeping garments, etc.) and interview ALL overnight campers to ensure capability and safety. Those deemed insufficiently equipped must be prepared to go home and return Saturday morning.
- Flight Operations will be limited to providing Air/Ground Coordination and support to ground operations. This may only be 2 or 3 A/G sorties.
- ICP Operations. We will be exercising ICP support functions in a winter environment. We will need a Communication Unit, Admin Check-in/Check-Out Unit, and Logistic Support Unit. Those needing initial/recurrent mission base staff training are welcomed.
- Task to Members:
- Confirm your attendance for the mission & your method of transport by signing up no later than Friday, February 16 2018at 1900L using the registration form at this link: IceBowl Sign-Up Form
- All personnel will be given inbound sorties please be sure to complete your vehicle information at the time of registration. Please be sure to start with a full tank of fuel and track inbound mileage and ending mileage.
- Coordinating Instructions
- Uniform of the Day is any Utility uniform preferred. EMPHASIS ON COLD-WEATHER PROTECTION. Thus non-uniform headgear, footwear, and outer-garments will be allowed. M65 Field Jackets and jungle combat boots are NOT effective for sustained operations in temperatures below 32*F.
- Flight Suits are only allowed for aircrew members. Likewise, aircrew members must be clothed for flight ops in cold weather.
- Command and Control. LtCol Ray Walden is designated as the Incident Commander. An IMT is being assembled. Until a Resource Unit Leader is assigned, all questions can be directed to me at the contact information in the signature block of this Order.